Ad Design Elements
Attention - The first thing your ad needs to do is grab the reader's attention. This is most often achieved with your key image and headline.
Interest - Once you've got their attention, you need to create an interest in your product or service.
Desire - There is a big difference between being interested in a product or service and desiring it. You need to convert the reader's interest into a strong desire for what you are offering.
Action - Even if someone desires what you you're offering, it is not enough until they take action. You need a call to action. Tell people exactly what you want them to do or what they need to do. Make it easy for them to do so.
Recommendations Based on Newspaper Association of America Study
- When 2/3 of ad space is dedicated to a key image, recognition rates increase by 50%.
- B/W ad contrast - Two identical ads, one with white background, one with black - twice as many people remember seeing an ad with a black background.
- Exposure to content in multiple forms of media increases memory retrieval.
- Develop an integrated campaign.
- Text should contain relevant benefits.
- Colors that enhance recognition are sky blue, golden yellow and shades of blue-green.